Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The battle of Identity and Self Worth

I'm getting ready to go speak at a mens retreat soon and I've been thinking a lot about where we get our identity and self worth.  At the retreat I'll be sharing a bit about my childhood, growing up with a dad who battled mental illness, and my own issues with finding my value (identity and self worth) in life. I came across some pictures of me growing up...

 
 
The first is the summer after my 6th grade year (I was about 180 pounds there...with the mullet) and the other of my senior year in high school at a wrestling match (I was about 165 pounds there...)...when I saw those pics I realized, when I looked in the mirror during both of those times (and truth be told...sometimes even today),  I thought I was fat...both pictures and times, I still struggled with self worth, identity and ultimately worried about what others thought of me.
 
I guess it's especially hitting me in my attempt to raise our 4 kids to be gracious, loving, and sure of who they are...as I often catch my young daughters looking long in the mirror, or hearing of my sons adventures on the playground and who gets to play in what games, I have all sorts of questions.
 
What do they think of themselves...how can I help them navigate life well and do it with an assuredness of who they are?  If their self worth and identity become validated only through the approval of their peers or others...Sadly, I know where that road will lead.
 
My greatest hope for them, is that they will find purpose, value, identity not in created things, but in their Creator.  Oh, Lord...may it be so!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment